Livestock Information & Forms
Superintendent – TIM SMITH ( 304) 671-3446
Donald Mickey and Erin Groves – Assistant Superintendents
RULES & REGULATIONS:
- Registration papers may be requested and examined by Beef Division Officials during the entry process.
- All Beef animals exhibited will be shown individually in their respective individual classes.
- Youth and Open Classes to be shown separately.
- Breed specific classes apply to Registered and Commercial Cattle.
- Heifer calves can show as Breeding Cattle or Feeder Calves, but not both.
- Weights will not be used for Breeding Classes.
- All Official Bull Classes are for registered animals only
- Youth entries will automatically be entered into corresponding open classes as competition allows.
- Feeder calves must weigh 325 – 650 pounds.
- Feeder calves must have visible ear tag as identification.
- Showmanship animals are to be exhibited clean, dry, and unfitted
- Each Purebred Breed Must have 2 or More Entries to Qualify for a Separate Show and all entries must have registration papers to show by Breed
- For “Cow and Calf Classes” Calf must be the Cow’s most recent natural born calf and be born on or after January 1, 2023 to be eligible and cannot be Purebred
- Market Steers shall NOT have horns
- All 4-H/FFA project animals shall be entered into Youth Division Classes. All Market Steers project animals must have been identified at the official weigh-in prior to this fair year.
- Fitting & Grooming Rule – Cattle in the market steer show and sale will be exhibited clean, dry and unfitted. Cattle are to be clipped, (before show day), washed, and brushed or combed. No other materials may be used. On show day, each youth exhibitor is to prepare his or her own animal for exhibit with possibly a minimal amount of assistance from parents or other 4-H or FFA livestock exhibitors or a fair official.
Classes will be separated by the following breeds:
- Shorthorn Plus
- Texas Longhorn
- All Other Breeds (Registered Animals Only)
If your Registered Breed is not shown in the list you should register in the “All Other Breeds” classes
All Official Classes will pay prize money for six places: $18, $15, $12, $9, $6 and $5. All Champions and Reserve Champions will receive Rosettes. Prize money will not be awarded for Exhibition Classes. Exhibition Class winners will not compete in Champion or Reserve Champion Classes
Class Class Description
14001 Open – Junior bull calves born on or after January 1, 2023
14002 Open – Senior bull calves, born between Sept 1 & Dec 31, 2022
14003 Open – Summer yearling bulls, born between May 1 & August 31, 2022
14004 Open – Junior yearling bulls, born between Jan 1 & April 30, 2022
14005 Open – Grand Champion & Reserve Champion Bull
14006 Open – Junior heifer calf, born on or after January 1, 2023
14007 Open – Senior heifer calf, born between Sept 1 & Dec 31, 2022
14008 Open – Summer yearling heifer, born between May 1 & August 31, 2022
14009 Open – Junior yearling heifer, born between January 1 & April 30, 2022
14010 Open – Senior yearling heifer, born between Sept 1 & Dec 31, 2021
14011 Open – 2-year-old heifer, born between Jan 1 & August 31, 2021
14012 Open – Aged Cow, born before January 1, 2021
14013 Open – Champion & Reserve Champion Female
14014 Open – Cow and Calf Class
14320 Youth – Junior bull calves born on or after January 1, 2023
14321 Youth – Senior bull calves, born between Sept 1 & Dec 31, 2022
14322 Youth – Summer yearling bulls, born between May 1 & August 31, 2022
14323 Youth – Junior yearling bulls, born between Jan 1 & April 30, 2022
14324 Youth – Grand Champion & Reserve Champion Bull
14325 Youth – Junior heifer calf, born on or after January 1, 2023
14326 Youth – Senior heifer calf, born between Sept 1 & Dec 31, 2022
14327 Youth – Summer yearling heifer, born between May 1 & August 31, 2022
14328 Youth – Junior yearling heifer, born between January 1 & April 30, 2022
14329 Youth – Senior yearling heifer, born between Sept 1 & Dec 31, 2021
14330 Youth – 2-year-old heifer, born between Jan 1 & August 31, 2021
14331 Youth – Aged Cow, born before January 1, 2021
14332 Youth – Champion & Reserve Champion Female
14500 Youth – Champion & Reserve Champion Female (all breeds)
14601 Youth – Market Steers
14602 Youth – Grand and Reserve Champion Market Steer
14605 Youth – Feeder Heifers
14606 Youth – Feeder Steers
14607 Youth – Grand and Reserve Champion Feeder Calf
14608 Open – Feeder Heifers
14609 Open – Feeder Steers
14610 Open – Grand and Reserve Champion Feeder Calf
SPECIAL AWARDS – BEEF CATTLE
All Special Awards will be presented at the Awards Ceremony on Saturday, August 26, 2023 beginning at 6:30pm in the Show Barn.
Fitting & Showing
- 1st Place Novice Showmanship
- 2nd Place Novice Showmanship
- 1st Place Junior Showmanship
- 2nd Place Junior Showmanship
- 1st Place Senior Showmanship
- 2nd Place Senior Showmanship
- 1st Place Previous Years Showmanship
- Winner Herdsman YOUTH
- 2nd Place Herdsman YOUTH
- Winner Herdsman OPEN
- 2nd Place Herdsman OPEN
Rate of Gain Winner
1st Year Exhibitor in Beef, Sheep or Swine
Random drawing from first year exhibitors of all three departments.
Only one exhibitor will be awarded
- Grand Champion Market Steer
- Reserve Grand Champion Market Steer
- Grand Champion Beef Female Overall YOUTH
- Reserve Grand Champion Beef Female Overall YOUTH
- Grand Champion Beef Female Overall OPEN
- Reserve Grand Champion Beef Female Overall OPEN
- Grand Champion Feeder Calf YOUTH
- Reserve Grand Champion Feeder Calf YOUTH
- Grand Champion Feeder Calf OPEN
- Reserve Grand Champion Feeder Calf OPEN
- Champion Cow/Calf YOUTH
- Reserve Champion Cow/Calf YOUTH
- Champion Cow/Calf OPEN
- Reserve Champion Cow/Calf OPEN
- Champion Bull YOUTH
- Reserve Champion Bull YOUTH
- Champion Bull OPEN
- Reserve Bull OPEN
Thank you to the 2022 Beef Cattle Department Award Sponsors:
Floppy & Friends, Charles Town Plumbing LLC, All Inclusive Expertise LLC, Lyzz Vesper, Mt. Pleasant Farm, Alex Bane Farm Setting, Wildcat Farm, Luttrell Charolais, F&M Insurance, Washington FFA Alumni, Friends of the Jefferson County Fair, Hillbrook Farm/KBM Cattle, The BilMar @ Kemper Run, Childs Montadales, Southdowns, & Shorthorns, Horizon Farm Credit, Blue Ridge Farm, and John Bane Farms & Hauling.
Contact Us For Questions
Fill out the following form, and we’ll be in touch with you. If you have any questions, please contact us!